Into the 20th Century
Reconciliation of Congregations
The Trustee Board, the Deacon Board, the Sunday School, a church choir, and a missionary circle were formed during the 22 years service of the Rev. Henry Warring. Towards the end of his pastorate in 1913, the congregations of Shiloh and Mt. Jezreel came together for a reconciliation meeting held at Shiloh. The officers of both churches signed a reconciliation document and they all sang the song "Blest Be the Tie That Binds."
Timeline of Past Pastors & Accomplishments
Rev. E. Owens (1863-1865)
Rev. Charles Rodgers (1863-1865)
Rev. Leland Waring (1863-1889)
Rev. McKee (1919-1917)
Under the pastorate of the Rev. McKee, the mothers of the church, later known as deaconesses, were organized.
Rev. J.H.Marshall (1917-1924)
The Rev. J.H. Marshall was the pastor for 7 years before he resigned to accept another pastorate.
Rev. Frank E. Hearns (1924-1944)
The Rev. Frank E. Hearns, called in 1924, officially established the Shiloh Usher Board, created the Willing Workers Club, and spearheaded the purchase of our first electric organ. These were lean times for Shiloh, and often Rev. Hearns would forego his salary to help pay church expenses. He served Shiloh for 20 years until his death in 1944.
Rev. J. Edward Stevens (1946-1947)
In 1946, after two years of mourning, Shiloh called the Rev. J. Edward Stevens as pastor. The Gospel Chorus, composed of young people, was organized during his pastorate. Rev. Stevens resigned in 1947 for personal reasons.
Rev. Moses William Beasley (1947-1986)
The Rev. Moses William Beasley was called as pastor in December 1947. Under his administration many distinctions were achieved. Rev. Beasley began to teach about and encourage the congregation to tithe.
In 1948, Shiloh became a member of the National Baptist Convention and the National Congress of Christian Education. The Laymen's Movement, now known as the Men's Fellowship, was organized. In 1955, the Flower Club was organized. Open communion was instituted into the regular morning worship service. A Baptist Training Union was organized; a Minister of Music became a reality; and the Choralite Gospel Chorus was organized in 1956. The Youth Choir, an outgrowth of the Tiny Tots Choir, evolved into a singing group for the Youth Church in 1962. Junior Deacons and Junior Trustees were organized in 1966 and Junior Deaconess in 1974. Junior officers were later integrated into the main boards.
The City of Alexandria Welfare Department operated an integrated Day Care Center at Shiloh from January 1964 to October 1971. In 1972, the Rev. Beasley conducted his first annual Leadership Training Program for all church officers. Shiloh's Food Bank, which served its members and the community, began operation in 1984 and closed in February 1992. In order to familiarize new members with Shiloh, a New Members Orientation class was instituted.
Shiloh became the first church in Alexandria to purchase a bus to meet the transportation needs of its members. Two buses and a van have been purchased since then.
Church facilities were improved. The church membership installed a new heating plant and air conditioning, built an addition with modern restrooms, renovated and remodeled the sanctuary and the lower auditorium, installed a modern kitchen, and dedicated a new organ, piano, and walk-in pulpit.
Neighboring properties on West Street were purchased that effectively expanded the parking area. Purchase of the Ballard property at 1323 Duke Street (known as Moses W. Beasley Center) provided greater space for the many church ministries.
Rev. Beasley's ministerial staff at various times included the Rev. Richard Garner and late Reverends James O. Powell, Frederick Houwens, Frederick Gibbs, and LaReintz Johnson. After 39 years of service, the Rev. Moses W. Beasley retired on December 31, 1986.
Rev. Robert Lewis Taylor (1988-1994)
The Rev. Robert Lewis Taylor was called to serve Shiloh in October 1988. The Scholarship Committee, tutoring, and adult reading classes were formed. A Discipleship Training class was added to give spiritual instruction to new members. The Shiloh Newsletter, the Pastor's Service Club (formerly the Pastor's Aid Society), and a weekly Bible Study were reestablished. The Board of Christian Education became a reality. In 1993, the Shiloh of Alexandria Federal Credit Union (SAFCU) was one of four credit unions chartered that year in the United States.
In 1994, because of clergy and membership incompatibility, Shiloh split into two separate congregations. One congregation worshiped at the George Washington High School with Rev. Taylor, calling itself the Greater Shiloh Baptist Church. The other congregation continued to worship at the church site located at 1401 Duke Street with Rev. LaReintz Johnson, the senior minister, as Interim Pastor. During this period Minister Jeanette Johnson, granddaughter of Rev. Beasley, became the first woman at Shiloh to be licensed to preach. Rev. Luther Bailey became Interim Pastor during Rev. Johnson’s illness and death in 1997.
Continue reading about the history of Shiloh Baptist Church from 2000 - The Present.